Amazon Web Services just keeps growing and growing. Late 2013 saw the announcement of three major new AWS offerings:
- Amazon AppStream, which lets developers build sophisticated applications that users can stream from the cloud
- Amazon Kinesis, which enables real-time processing of big data
- Amazon WorkSpaces, which is a Desktop as a Service offering
As of early 2014, only Amazon Kinesis is widely available, with the other two services remaining in "limited preview" format. But all three are poised to shake up how both developers and businesses use the cloud.
This guide introduces the three new AWS offerings, providing insights about whether and when to use them. As a bonus, it includes two videos from the most recent Amazon re:Invent conference that examine the issue of overprovisioning. The guide also offers an extensive glossary of AWS-related terms, and there's even a quiz that will test your knowledge.
Learning all about AWS
Find everything you need to know about Amazon Web Services. This section includes tips, frequently asked questions and expert responses on everything related to the three new AWS offerings: AppStream, Kinesis and WorkSpaces.
AWS advice concerning over-provisioning
Experts answer question about AWS, cloud computing and overprovisioning in this video section. Take a look at how different experts answer common AWS concerns about avoiding buying too much of one thing and not enough of another.
What do you know about AWS services?
Find out if you can answer questions on AWS Infrastructure as a Service. This quiz was designed to test your knowledge on the subject and then gives you the correct answers if you've missed any.Take This Quiz
AWS glossary of terms
What is AWS? Find definitions for all terms related to Amazon Web Services in our glossary section, as well as links to related articles, news and tips.
- Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Amazon Dynamo Database (DDB)
- Amazon ElastiCache
- Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2)
- Amazon Kinesis
- Amazon Redshift
- Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3)
- Amazon's data-flow PaaS: AppStream and Kinesis