This article is part of an Essential Guide, our editor-selected collection of our best articles, videos and other content on this topic. Explore more in this guide:
4. - AWS glossary of terms: Read more in this section
- Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2)
- Amazon Kinesis
- Amazon RedShift
- Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3)
- Amazon's data-flow PaaS: AppStream and Kinesis
- cloud computing
- elastic load balancing
- Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)
- public cloud
- virtual machine (VM)
Explore other sections in this guide:
- 1. - Learning all about AWS
- 2. - AWS advice concerning over-provisioning
- 3. - What do you know about AWS services?
Amazon ElastiCache is a fully managed caching service. ElastiCache is protocol-compliant with Memcached, an open source, high-performance, distributed memory object caching system for speeding up dynamic web applications by alleviating database load.
According to the Amazon website, ElastiCache makes it easy to deploy, operate, and scale an in-memory cache in the cloud. The service improves the performance of web applications by enabling information retrieval from a fast, managed, in-memory caching system, instead of relying entirely on slower disk-based databases.